User Tutorial:Preparing your BCI2000 system for P300 BCI experiments for the first time
Preparing for Configuration
To begin, you first need to gather some system data. This tutorial will assume that you will be using a dual-monitor setup as shown below, with the experimenter of the sessions operating on monitor 1, and the subject will be watching monitor 2.
Open Display Properties by right-clicking on an empty portion of the desktop and clicking Properties, and navigating to the Settings tab.
|Make sure that Monitor 2, (which displays the instructions to the subject), is on the right of Monitor 1, (the experimenter's screen), and is aligned along the top.|
|What we need to make a note of is the width of monitor 1, and the width and height of monitor 2.|
|In this example we see that Monitor 1 is 2048 pixels wide, and monitor 2 is 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels tall.|
Connect your amplifier to the computer, and turn it on.
If your amplifier is from the gMOBIlab family, you will need to make a note of the port it is connected to. In order to determine that port, go to the Windows Start Menu, and choose Start → Settings → Control Panel → System → Hardware → Device Manager → Ports (COM & LPT). In this example, we see that the amplifier is connected to COM8.
You can now close all open windows.
- When you are using a source module that is not part of the BCI2000 core distribution, you will need to create a batch file and parameter file for your amplifier first. Please follow the steps described on this page.
- Start BCI2000 by double-clicking batch\P3Speller_<your amplifier>.bat.
- For repeated use, placing a link to this file on the desktop might be a good idea.
- In the operator module, click Config.
- Click Load Parameters, and load parms/p3_tutorial/InitialP3Session.prm. Then, load parms/fragments/amplifiers/<YourAmplifier>.prm.
- In the Storage tab:
- Set SubjectName to the subject’s initials.
- Set SubjectSession to 001
- Set SubjectRun to 01
In the Source tab, set:
- ChannelNames to the electrode positions according to the 10-20 convention
- This names the channels to the respective electrode positions
- In our example, F3 F4 T7 C3 Cz C4 T8 Pz has been entered
- TransmitChList to the channel names entered into the ChannelNames parameter
- If using a gMOBIlab amplifier, set COM port to the port name that you found earlier
- In this example we would put in COM8:
In the Application tab, set:
- WindowWidth to the width of the display monitor, found earlier
- WindowHeight to the height of the display monitor, found earlier
- In our example, WindowWidth would be set to 1024 and WindowHeight would be set to 768
- WindowLeft to the width of the experimenter’s monitor
- In our example, this would be 2048
- This shifts the character display to the right 2048 pixels, making it display on the secondary monitor
- Finally, save the parameter file where you deem appropriate.
Once the system has been configured, the EEG Measurement Setup page shows you how to physically set up an EEG measurement.