Can I use gUSBamp 32 bit and 64 bit both in my computer

Forum for software developers to discuss BCI2000 software development
ripa

Can I use gUSBamp 32 bit and 64 bit both in my computer

Post by ripa » 15 May 2014, 08:14

Hi all ,

I am new in BCI2000 . I would like to estimate alpha power in real time. In my computer I have already gUSBamp 64 bit installed. Whenever I am trying to open the batch file for online estimation , it is crashing :( I think BCI2000 will not work properly with 64 bit gUSBamp driver. However I would like to instal 32 bit driver
( gUSBamp) but I would alos like to keep the 64 bit gUSBamp , because some other students are using it so I can't delete it. In that scenario , is it possible to keep the both driver ??? please help me

boulay

Re: Can I use gUSBamp 32 bit and 64 bit both in my computer

Post by boulay » 15 May 2014, 14:16

Yes, you can have both. I've done it.

But, if you want, you can recompile the gUSBampSource module for 64-bit. There are instructions on how to do this on the wiki. It can be difficult to do. If you do it correctly then you'll only need the 64-bit driver. Since BCI2000 is modular, there is no need to have any other module in 64-bit.

Anyway, to get them both to work, first install the 64-bit driver (already done, I think). Then try to install the 32-bit driver. This installation will fail. At some point during the installation a 32-bit dll will be copied somewhere (I'm sorry I can't remember where it goes). Copy this dll to (a) the same directory as your gUSBampSource.exe (probably C:\BCI2000\prog). You can also try putting the 32-bit dll into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory. 32-bit executables should look here for the dll by default if it is not found in the same directory as the binary.

If, after failing to install the 32-bit driver, your 64-bit programs fail to work, then reinstall the 64-bit driver. This should not affect the ability of the BCI2000 module to use the 32-bit dll that you've placed in the correct place.

Please post back when you find where the 32-bit driver installer puts the dll file.

ripa

Post by ripa » 16 May 2014, 05:02

"Yes, you can have both. I've done it." - I tried to install the 32 bit drivers. However it failed it is asking for gUSBamp.dll file when I have the particular .dll file in the folder.

I am not sure where it is going :(.. I didn't try the second method "gUSBampSource.exe (probably C:\BCI2000\prog). "You can also try putting the 32-bit dll into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory" because some of our student are still using 64 bit drivers and if it will collapse then they can't run the experiment ...

"But, if you want, you can recompile the gUSBampSource module for 64-bit. There are instructions on how to do this on the wiki. It can be difficult to do. If you do it correctly then you'll only need the 64-bit driver. Since BCI2000 is modular, there is no need to have any other module in 64-bit." -
I would really try to do this method if it will not work then only will try to install both in the same computer.
I searched for specific wiki links for the steps .However couldn't find it ...I will try to search it and if you have the link already you can also send it to me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion..

boulay

Post by boulay » 16 May 2014, 07:18

Despite its confusing name, "SysWOW64" is reserved for 32-bit dll's. Only 32-bit programs look there for dll's. You can put the dll there or in the same directory as your BCI2000 programs.

You need to find the dll first. Though your 32-bit driver installation failed (as expected), it should still have gotten to the point where it copied the 32-bit dll SOMEWHERE. I can't remember where, I'm sorry. You'll have to find it then copy it to one of the above two locations.

Here is the post in the wiki.
And I found a relevant post in the BBS here.

ripa

Post by ripa » 22 May 2014, 07:15

Thanks a lot boulay .. I installed 32 bit drivers in 32 bit machine and I used the 32 bit gUSBamp and it is working properly.. I already found the source file gUSBamp. I would like to recompile the source file for USBamp with 64 bit system. However should I have to recompile every file in 64 bit system ( I am using Visual C++ for compiling the source file) ??

ripa

Post by ripa » 23 May 2014, 12:29

Thanks boulay .. It is solved now .. Now the amplifier is working in the 64 bit machine :)