Help, i don't get how to use BCI

Forum for software developers to discuss BCI2000 software development
kisioka

Help, i don't get how to use BCI

Post by kisioka » 28 Apr 2014, 11:19

Hi guys! :D
I'm attending the last year of high school(it's a technical institute with specialization in informatic). I'll have the final exam, and i wanted to talk about BCI. Now, 50 days(more o less) before, i got that the argument is more and more and more difficult of what i would have thought(even interesting).
In my paper i talked about the acquisition, the amplification and filtering, but i didn't made a system acquisition (no disponibility of electrodes) so i wanted to make something more particular about the programmation. I discovered BCI2000, IT'S FANTASTIC!, but i don't get how to use it :(.
In my mind i had planned to do something like:
-Analysis of a signal pre registered
-Application of the elaborated signal in a program written in c++
Can someone give me an' hint or, if it's possible, an exampe?

boulay

Re: Help, i don't get how to use BCI

Post by boulay » 28 Apr 2014, 13:30

Hi,

Try the mu-rhythm tutorial link near the top-right of the page linked here.
Please post here if any of the tutorial steps do not work for you.

Good luck,
Chad

kisioka

Post by kisioka » 28 Apr 2014, 15:40

:D tanks :D

kisioka

Post by kisioka » 01 May 2014, 04:25

The program of the cursor task(just the black square where the ball moves around) is just a software that receive data form outside and associates them to the position of the ball?

boulay

Post by boulay » 01 May 2014, 13:42

kisioka wrote:The program of the cursor task(just the black square where the ball moves around) is just a software that receive data form outside and associates them to the position of the ball?
That's close. The data controls the speed, not the position, of the ball.

A BCI comprises 3 parts: (1) brain signal acquisition and storage, (2) signal processing to convert brain signals to control signals, (3) an application that uses the control signals to control some stimulus or feedback.

You are asking just about one specific implementation of part 3. The same control signals can be used to control a robotic arm, a videogame, a lightswitch, or just about anything with 1,2, or 3 degrees of freedom. Users can use the BCI to communicate or using the BCI can act as a sort of training to improve how the brain functions.

I also encourage you to check out the P300 speller tutorial (linked at the same page as the mu rhythm tutorial). It uses entirely different signal processing and application but it is probably more effective for communication than is the mu rhythm + cursor task.