Steady State VEP stimulation paradigm

This forum deals with BCI2000 configuration issues.
teosoet

Steady State VEP stimulation paradigm

Post by teosoet » 13 Feb 2006, 18:13

hi!

i'm a master's of science (biomedical engineering) student here in Mexico City. our lab it's interested in designing a SSVEP based BCI. we are setting up the BCI2000 software and had started to work in the P300 speller. now, i'm very excited about the new BCI (the one based on SSVEP) and would like to use the BCI2000 software to implement a visual stimulator. does anyone know about previos implementations?

i'm open to any comments, if youy have some information please email me: teosoet<at>gmail<dot>com

thanks.

Teodoro Solís-Escalante

Laboratorio de Investigación en Neuroimagenología
Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana-Iztapalapa
Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica.
Ciudad de México.

gschalk

Re: SSVEP ...

Post by gschalk » 08 Mar 2006, 13:29

Teodoro,

The principal prerequisite for SSVEP systems is very accurate visual stimulation. This cannot be done easily under Windows, and most likely not in conjunction with other programs that operate at the same time.

For that reason, BCI2000 cannot directly be used to STIMULATE. However, BCI2000 can be used to record signals and a dedicated stimulation program, such as Presentation, can be used for visual stimulation.

I hope this helps,
The Gerv

teosoet

thanks for the comments

Post by teosoet » 08 Mar 2006, 15:09

the gerv,

thanks for your comments. yes, i know that i need a real time system (wich windoze isn't) to implement the stimulator for SSVEPs. i'm commfortable whit UNIX systems, my lab is running Mandriva and i'm using Mac OS X, but i'm a bad programmer. :P

i was looking for some help to minimize the "time-o-programming", also i have the g.USBamp but the drivers are dlls. in a recent semminar with the LINI staff we decide to use the BCI2000 to record the signals and use a different OS to the stimulator. we are working in a basic graphics/video controller for UNIX systems using Qt as our development enviroment and OpenGL classes.

as soon as i end with a decent version of all the system my intentions are to share it whit the BCI community. now i'm testing a feature extraction method for single trial classification of P300 and left aside the SSVEPs.

thanks again.

all the best from Mexico.

Teodoro "el teo" Solís-Escalante

Laboratorio de Investigación en Neuroimagenología
Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana-Iztapalapa
Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica.
Ciudad de México.