Read from Datasets

This forum deals with BCI2000 configuration issues.
nadoona

Read from Datasets

Post by nadoona » 10 Aug 2007, 15:37

Hi,

I am new at BCI 2000. I was wondering if there is a way to use BCI 2000 while reading from datasets in order to see how it works. I have found some datasets online for P300 experiments, and they are supposed to be recorded using BCI 2000. They are available in 2 formats: ASCII and .MAT. However, I do not know how to configure BCI 2000 to read from these datasets instead of a source module.

Please advise.
Thanks.

gschalk

data read

Post by gschalk » 14 Aug 2007, 20:19

Nadoona,

I am new at BCI 2000. I was wondering if there is a way to use BCI 2000 while reading from datasets in order to see how it works. I have found some datasets online for P300 experiments, and they are supposed to be recorded using BCI 2000. They are available in 2 formats: ASCII and .MAT. However, I do not know how to configure BCI 2000 to read from these datasets instead of a source module.
If you are interested in trying out BCI2000 to see how it works, then you may simply use the P3Speller_RandomNumber batch file and associated parameter file.

If you are interested in loading recorded data and playing it through the system: This issue has been coming up every couple months for the past five years. While this could easily be done by, e.g., writing a source module that reads from a file, we have not done this, and that for at least two reasons:

1) If the version of BCI2000 that you are using is not the exact same as the one that was used to record the data, and/or you change some system parameters, then, depending on the experimental paradigm, results may be undefined. E.g., in a 2D cursor task, what should happen if you slow down the cursor such that the cursor has not yet reached a target when in the original data file it has (i.e., and the trial is over?).

2) Scientifically, it is a bad idea to "simulate" online performance by loading a datafile, changing a few parameters, and seeing how it would have worked. If you are interested in evaluating the effect of different signal processing routines, you should write your own offline analysis routine that uses statistical analyses, together with a comprehensive body of data, or you need to run comprehensive online studies.

Of course there is nothing in the code that would prohibit you from writing your own such module, but you should note the two caveats above.

The Gerv