software for triggers from parallel port of 2nd computer

This forum deals with BCI2000 configuration issues.
davebritton

software for triggers from parallel port of 2nd computer

Post by davebritton » 22 Nov 2011, 14:37

I need to connect a second computer running Presentation for stimulus delivery, to the BCI2000 eeg acquisition computer. Presentation uses the parallel port to send triggers, so I am wondering if anyone has already solved this problem, and if not, what advice is there for how to do this the best way. The stimulus computer presents the audio and visual paradigm, and sends triggers via the parallel port. A parallel-parallel cable brings these trigger signals to the parallel port of the data acquisition computer running BCI2000 which is receiving EEG data from an ANT amplifier (using the TMSi driver). Do I need to write a special "Application" module to listen to the parallel port or has someone already done this?
Thanks for your help!
-Dave Britton

jawilson

Re: software for triggers from parallel port of 2nd computer

Post by jawilson » 22 Nov 2011, 15:01

Dave,
I am not too familiar with the ANT amps, but it appears that they have digital inputs. If you know which line on the parallel port is being used, you could connect that to a digital input input, and record the stimulus that way. You might setup BCI2000 to use the StimulusPresentation module, with a long Prestimulus interval (e.g., 3 minutes, or equal to the presentation duration using Presentation). Then, you can do the ERP offline triggered from the digital signal. Does this make sense? Can you use the digital inputs this way?
Adam

davebritton

Re: software for triggers from parallel port of 2nd computer

Post by davebritton » 22 Nov 2011, 17:17

Yes, indeed! that's the right way to do it. Thanks!