BCI2000 and e-Prime

Known Issues and Problems with BCI2000
Mabi

BCI2000 and e-Prime

Post by Mabi » 18 Jun 2013, 11:13

Hi,
Would you please tell me which features of StimulusPresentation looks like e-Prime? because I read here http://www.bci2000.org/wiki/index.php/U ... I2000_Tour that it has some features like e-Prime.

Best Regards
Mabi

mellinger

Re: BCI2000 and e-Prime

Post by mellinger » 18 Jun 2013, 13:02

Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

The remark on the tutorial page is not about what StimulusPresentation "looks like" in its user interface, or otherwise. It just says that it provides features for which you normally would need to use a dedicated stimulus presentation program, such as e-Prime, or Presentation.

These features are:
* Low-latency presentation of visual and auditory stimuli,
* time-stamping of stimulus delivery with millisecond resolution,
* generation of random stimulus sequences according to simple rules,
* abortion of sequences according to the state of external devices (e.g., keyboard presses),
* flexible modification and extension by means of programming in a high-level language.

In effect, the StimulusPresentation module allows users to perform stimulation experiments for which they would otherwise need to obtain dedicated stimulus presentation software. There is no doubt that dedicated stimulus presentation software is much more powerful than the BCI2000 StimulusPresentation module. Still, the features of StimulusPresentation are sufficient for users without sophisticated experimental needs, e.g. users who are interested in classification of brain states rather than in investigation of low-level perception processing in the brain.

Due to your feedback, I decided to change the wording on the tutorial page, in order to avoid misinterpretation in the future. Please let me know whether you consider it more appropriate in its modified form.

Best regards,
Juergen

Mabi

Post by Mabi » 20 Jun 2013, 05:22

Hi,
Many thanks for your quick and complete answer.
Here I have an e-Prime application which is now connected to NetStation and sends to it trial,direction of movement and frequency,I can see these data in my external application which is written in Java.Now I want to send these data to BCI2000 but I don't know how I should use it in BCI2000.
Do I need this external application which is in Java and here I suppose it as an intermediate program between e-Prime and BCI2000?
Shall I use BCI2000Remote Interface? If yes,would you please say how?

Best Regards
Mabi

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 24 Jun 2013, 11:41

Hi,

in order to make a suggestion, I will need to understand what you are trying to do, which is difficult from the information you provide.

AFAIK, NetStation is a data acquisition software provided by EGI. So e-Prime sends some information to NetStation, I guess this is because you want it to be recorded in the data file, right? In addition to that, you have a Java program that is able to receive that data, and display it. How does the Java application receive that data, and from where? From e-Prime, or from NetStation?

Now when BCI2000 comes in, does it replace NetStation? Do you intend to send data from e-Prime to BCI2000 for the purpose of recording, or in order to control BCI2000? Would you like to use e-Prime for stimulus presentation, and BCI2000 for recording, and online processing? Would e-Prime need to receive processing results from BCI2000?

Regards,
Juergen