Error during BCI2000 setup

Known Issues and Problems with BCI2000
cjcunningham1

Error during BCI2000 setup

Post by cjcunningham1 » 01 Feb 2013, 18:36

Hi all,

I am trying to setp BCI2000 and I am trying to run my 2010visual express batch file to begin creating a project but I keep receiving this error upon compiling in the command window.

fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt (C:\BCI2000\build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec.vcxproj)

I know what file this is and I have tried to re download all the files again but this error keeps persisting.
Any feed back would be much appreciated as I am running out of ideas to fix this

Thanks,
CC

mellinger

Re: Error during BCI2000 setup

Post by mellinger » 04 Feb 2013, 09:14

Hi,

the problem is not necessarily related to BCI2000, and has not occurred previously AFAIK.
The project in question is created internally by CMake in order to determine properties of the compiler. Its failure could be due to the following:
* You are using a wrong generator (-G) argument when running CMake. Check in the CMake documentation which generator is compatible with VS2010 express.
* Your MSVC installation is broken.
* Your user account initially had write access to the BCI2000/build directory, but does not have it any more.

You might try the following:
* Setup a minimal CMake project independent of BCI2000, and try to build it.
* Try to build a VisualStudio example project.
* Make sure all files are on locally mounted NTFS file systems (not FAT32 or other file systems).

HTH,
Juergen

mcspencer

Post by mcspencer » 20 Feb 2013, 06:31

The problem has to do with Visual Studio and CMake. You need to install Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1.

Once solving the linker error with VS2010 SP1, we are also encountering another issue where CMake "can't find" the Qt libraries in the BCI2000 distribution. Everything seems to be where it should be.

I thought it might have to do with the latest CMake version (2.8.10.2), but I tried it with 2.8.8 and still had the same problem.

We managed to fix this by downloading and installing Qt 4.8 and modifying the FindQt.cmake file in the build/cmake directory of BCI2000 from "SET( USE_STD_QT FALSE )" to read "SET( USE_STD_QT TRUE )". This fix isn't ideal, since the Qt installation is another 200MB after checking out the BCI2000 source code, but I'm not sure what else to do.

We have only had this problem recently. I've checked out and compiled the BCI2000 source code on about 6 different computers (all Windows 7) over the last 2 years and have never had these problems. Any ideas?

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 25 Feb 2013, 09:41

Thanks for reporting the error.
Something went wrong during a recent cleanup of the SVN database, and as a result, the library files were empty on SVN.

I added them back, so the problem should be solved by an SVN update.

Xiboleth

Post by Xiboleth » 19 Apr 2013, 06:03

Following your recent svn fix, the build was working again for a few weeks, but this seems to have become an issue once again with the latest update, with the following appearing:

Qt QTOPENGL library not found.
Qt QTGUI library not found.
Qt QTCORE library not found.
Qt QTOPENGL library not found.
Qt QTGUI library not found.
Qt QTCORE library not found.
CMake Error at C:/BCI2000/src/extlib/3DAPI/Demo/CMakeLists.txt:31 (QT4_WRAP_CPP)
:

Any idea how to proceed? (This is when running the Make VS10 project files.bat file)

Thank you for your help,

Finian Massa

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 29 Apr 2013, 08:57

Hi,

this works fine for me, I cannot reproduce your problem with VS2010 Express on Windows7/32.

Regards,
Juergen

miemets

Post by miemets » 07 Aug 2013, 19:19

I ran into the some similar issues recently when checking out BCI2000 with svn.

I could not run CMake with out external Qt libraries, installing Qt 4.85 fixed the problem when running Cmake files with out any error. In my case however, I were able to build specific modules successfully from that source using VS10, yet those modules would give me procedure entry point errors for the qt dll's later. I decided to try another method instead as explained below, and it seems my issues are resolved.

I thought, perhaps my svn checkout was incomplete for the /build and /src folders as CMake errors were referring to these folders for missing qt dll's. After my last clean check out of BCI2000 from /current, I updated those build and src folders and seen that additional CMake and Qt files were added or updated by the svn server. Cmake does not give any error any more and I did not have to install external Qt libraries or modify the FindQt CMake file.

In short, I believe the issue is the incomplete downloads (specifically the dlls required by cmake) for /build and /src folders from the svn server even though it doesn't give any warning or error; the solution is to run an svn update on those two folders.

-Mehmet Günal

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 08 Aug 2013, 10:10

Hi,

there have been quite some changes since this thread was started half a year ago.
Especially, precompiled static Qt libraries are no longer kept in the BCI2000 repository.

Rather, they are downloaded by CMake at configuration time, trying a plain HTTP download first, and using a locally installed SVN command line client if that fails.
Also, for non-Windows platforms, there are no precompiled Qt libraries available.

Either way, CMake should give you a reasonable error message in case those libraries are not available on your machine at configuration time, and prompt you to install some version of Qt on your machine. After you did that, CMake will be able to complete configuration of BCI2000.

In between, various aspects of that complicated process were broken, so you should always upgrade to the latest SVN version if CMake has problems with finding Qt.

HTH,
Juergen

sanbelluzo

Post by sanbelluzo » 03 Sep 2013, 16:12

Hi, i´m stuck with the same problem :(.... I updated the 2 foldersthat Mehmet Günal said and it seems that was working because it started to load all the complements but suddenly return "configuration incomplete, errors occurred".
I saw the cmd window and the error seems to be some problem with a library...
Can someone give me a hand?...
Attachments
error.png

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 12 Sep 2013, 12:14

Hi,

make sure to install all available VS2010 service packs (SP 1 at least), and update your CMake to the latest version.

HTH,
Juergen

skvpe

Post by skvpe » 28 Nov 2014, 21:37

Hi guys,

I am stuck in the same problem - BuildVS2010.cmd file searches online for Qt 4.8.6, but I already precompiled binaries installed on a PC which has no internet.

In FindQT.cmake, I cannot find the above lines (setting False to True), which part can I edit to make sure cmake finds installed QT?

I already included C:/QT/Qt-4.8.6 in the system PATH, installed Win SP1.

boulay

Post by boulay » 29 Nov 2014, 10:07

I'm not sure (I don't have Qt installed on this system) but aren't the binaries in something like C:/QT/Qt-4.8.6/bin?

You can try looking around the web for different FindQt.cmake ; I don't think there's anything special about the BCI2000 one.

skvpe

Post by skvpe » 01 Dec 2014, 00:33

I tried some FindQT found on github but did not work. But the problem got solved after reinstalling everything from scratch.