Compatible systems

Forum for discussion on different user applications
gadklein

Compatible systems

Post by gadklein » 29 Dec 2008, 12:52

Perhaps I am just missing it, but I am having a very hard time finding info re: the recording systems that are compatible with BCI2000.

Currently we use the Xltek recording system. Is this compatible in any way with your software for real time processing?

Thanks in advance for your time.

-Gad

gschalk

Recording systems ...

Post by gschalk » 30 Dec 2008, 08:40

Gad,

The full list of compatible recording systems is listed on

http://www.bci2000.org/BCI2000/Features_Hardware.html

Similar to other clinical monitoring systems (e.g., Nihon Kohden, Stellate, etc.), Xltek is currently not supported. This is because these systems typically use proprietary communication protocols that do not allow for access to the data of any third-party client (such as BCI2000). We are currently putting pressure on at least some of these companies so that they open up their architecture. With regards to Xltek, this process is currently organized by Dr. Ian Miller from Miami Children's Hospital (Ian.Miller@mch.com). He is collecting Letters of Support from interested parties. I suggest that you get in contact with him about that.

In the current absence of direct access to signals from the patients, we have successfully used splitter boxes (the newest Ad-Tech catalog has 32-channel units for purchase), together with dedicated data acquisition systems. While this obviously increases the cost (since the data acquisition units need to be purchased), this also has several advantages:
1) It works now and does not depend on the management decisions and development cycles at external companies
2) Signal acquisition is typically of much higher quality than with existing clinical acquisition systems, which are optimized for the 1-30 Hz frequency range most important to clinical diagnosis.

I hope this helps. Please contact me directly if you have more specific questions.

Gerv