Protocol for an EEG Device Simulator

Forum for discussion on different user applications
fulcrummike

Protocol for an EEG Device Simulator

Post by fulcrummike » 08 Jul 2016, 14:31

Hi all,

I have developed an EEG device simulator software. The task of this software is to read an EEG data file from hard disk, and transmit the signals over COM port/Bluetooth to another computer/microcontroller with the same timing as that of an actual EEG device (I went through a lot of trouble to implement timing precision). The purpose of creating this software was to verify real-time EEG feature extraction and classification on a microcontroller. I didn't have an actual EEG device so this software was essential for validation of my microcontroller based EEG processing solution.

I came up with my own data format for transmission of EEG data. The project was a success. I am now thinking of modifying my code by transmitting the EEG samples in a format that may be usable to others. I hope someone here can point me to the most commonly used EEG data protocols. I could find little information on the internet.

Any help will be appreciated!

regards,
Fulcrum

pbrunner

Re: Protocol for an EEG Device Simulator

Post by pbrunner » 01 Aug 2016, 15:10

Fulcrum,

I would suggest that you implement a BCI2000 source module that reads from your EEG device simulator. After building the SVN trunk of BCI2000 you should have a NewBCI2000Module.exe in the build directory. Please start it and select "New BCI2000 Source Module". This will create a template in which you just have to implement the reading from the serial port in the process function, as well as the initialization of your communication in the initialize function. Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards, Peter