About OCTAVE

Forum for discussion on different user applications
mori

About OCTAVE

Post by mori » 27 Jul 2011, 07:21

Hello!!
I have a question about using OCTAVE.

Now, I try hard to use OCTAVE in place of MATLAB. But when I use MEX-file to read dat-file, I have a trouble.
When I try to use it, this message appears.

"There is no load_bcidat mex file for your platform available."

I change some file, but I can't solve this problem.

Any advice or information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely.

Mori

gschalk

Re: About OCTAVE

Post by gschalk » 27 Jul 2011, 08:49

I have never worked with Octave, but clearly it does not seem to support Matlab-style mex files. Thus, at the very least, the Matlab-based mex files (including load_bcidat) would have to be recompiled to work with Octave. However, it is possible that Octave does not even support the use of compiled c code. In this case, the only option is to convert BCI2000 data into ASCII using BCI2000Export, and then use these ASCII data in Octave.

Gerv

J_R30144

Post by J_R30144 » 28 Jul 2011, 00:26

Octave does appear to support .mex file but with some limitations as noted on SPM/Octave Wiki page : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SPM/Octave

"...You need to use latest version of SPM8 (r4290) and GNU Octave (3.4).
For compilation of the MEX files for Octave, run the following:
cd /home/login/spm8/src
make distclean PLATFORM=octave
make PLATFORM=octave && make install PLATFORM=octave
...."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also The following from : http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/FAQ. ... patibility

"....Mex-Files Octave includes an API to the matlab MEX interface. However, as MEX is an API to the internals of Matlab and the internals of Octave differ from Matlab, there is necessarily a manipulation of the data to convert from a MEX interface to the Octave equivalent. This is notable for all complex matrices, where Matlab stores complex arrays as real and imaginary parts, whereas Octave respects the C99/C++ standards of co-locating the real/imag parts in memory. Also due to the way Matlab allows access to the arrays passed through a pointer, the MEX interface might require copies of arrays (even non complex ones). There were some serious memory leaks in the MEX API in Octave up to version 2.9.9, and version 2.9.10 or later should be used if posible...."

mori

Post by mori » 31 Jul 2011, 02:47

Thank you for the responses!!
And I’m sorry to be late for the response.

I try to convert BCI2000 data into ASCll using BCI2000Export, and then use these ASCll data in Octave.

But if possible, I want to use MEX-file. So I also try to use latest version of SPM8 and GNU Octave 3.4, and then use MEX-file.

Thanks a lot!!

Mori