Benchmarcking Signal Processing for BCIs

Forum for discussion on different signal processing algorithms
jeffbaure

Benchmarcking Signal Processing for BCIs

Post by jeffbaure » 18 Mar 2005, 09:02

Hello,
I recently acquired on my own a portable 16-CH EEG unit connecting on the USB port of my laptop (Symptop-China: 1200 U$ !!).
My purpose is to benchmark via Matlab various biosignal processing algorithms to transform, desantangle signals & learn to classify them to finally generate a neural command (3D cube translation & rotation). The most promising algorithms will next be transcoded from Matlab to visual c++. The final goal is to transform my BCI in a very flexible Neurofeedback system.
For that purpose, i was very interested to get the BCI2000 which seems to be an evolvable platform for BCI but this was not possible: the BCI is not granted to a simple individual researching on his own (must be part of an institutionnal/academic effort).
Why is that so ?
Is there a way i can convince the Wadsworth research office ?
Are there other available BCI codes or shared classification algorithms ?
Can an individual take part to the BCI competition sessions ?
Thanks for your lights,
Jean-François B.

mellinger

Post by mellinger » 19 Mar 2005, 09:57

Dear Jean-François,

granting access to academical/institutional research only is a general policy of the Wadsworth Center which hosts the BCI2000 project.
There is nothing we can do about it, nor can we give any further reasons or explanations. The workaround to this is to get some support from an appropriate institution near you.

In any case, getting in touch with an academic institution measuring EEG will be useful if you are going to perform EEG recordings yourself. There are non-obvious details that can be learned best from someone with professional experience in this field, saving lost effort and frustration on your side.

The BCI competition is open to anyone, so you are welcome to participate!

Best regards,
Jürgen