Warning "Unknown method" when plotting topgraphy map

Amine Metani

Warning "Unknown method" when plotting topgraphy map

Post by Amine Metani » 16 Jun 2015, 11:18

Hi,

I have the exact same problem than described in this closed topic, that does not seem to have been solved :
http://www.bci2000.org/phpbb/viewtopic. ... own+method

I succeeded in using the Offline Analysis tool for creating feature maps and spectra plots. I created an eloc file to be used with my EEG headset (Emotiv EPOC) which opens fine in the elocHelper.

Now if I enter the spectra channels and topo frequencies in the Offline Analysis tool, the spectra plots comes up, but when loading the topography plot it gives a warning message "Unknown method". The Topographies Figure window loads with an empty graph canvas (X en Y axis) and no content.

I am using Matlab R2015A on Windows 7 32 bits running through Parallels 10 on Mac Os 10.10.3

Do we have an idea of what's going on and how to solve this issue ?

Thanks.

pbrunner

Re: Warning "Unknown method" when plotting topgraphy map

Post by pbrunner » 16 Jun 2015, 22:11

Amine,

to isolate the problem, can you please

1) post the warning that you receive, or a screenshot of your MATLAB screen with the warning and the effect to the plot visible?
2) post a link to some sample data for which this problem occurs?

Regards, Peter

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 17 Jun 2015, 04:00

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

Here's a link to a .zip file including a screenshot, the parameter file, the .loc file and the sample data files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U3n6 ... sp=sharing

What I did is that I used the BCI2000 provided mu session, that I adapted with something adapted to the epoc electrodes positioning. As the epoc has no electrodes in the C3/C4 and Cz zones, but have the T3/T4 ones, I want to try to classify tongue movements versus rest.

I'm not sure of what kind of infos would be relevant for you to understand the problem, so I will keep this message short, but please tell me if you need anything more precise.

Thanks again,
Amine

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 17 Jun 2015, 06:32

I forgot to mention that, as there is no stimulus presentation batch file corresponding to my amplifier in the batch folder, nor is there a parameter file corresponding to the epoc headset in the fragments/amplifiers folder, I start BCI2000 using the Launcher module, and then select Emotiv as a signal source, Dummy Signal Processing and Stimulus presentation as an application.

pbrunner

Post by pbrunner » 17 Jun 2015, 10:44

Amine,

thank you for the data upload. Can you please also upload a screenshot of the OfflineAnalysis GUI with all settings in place that cause the problem.

To this end, I did try to reproduce the issue on my Mac using MATLAB R2014b, but without success. However, it seems that your eloc file is working and you can ignore the "neverselect" warning.

Regards, Peter

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 17 Jun 2015, 11:12

Hi Peter, yes sure, here's the screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U3n6 ... sp=sharing

Thanks a lot

pbrunner

Post by pbrunner » 17 Jun 2015, 11:50

Amine,

that you for the additional info. I still can't reproduce the issue on my side. To further narrow down the issue, can you please set a breakpoint in MATLAB at every occurrence of the 'errordlg' function in the OfflineAnalaysis.m and run the script with your settings. Once it hits a breakpoint, please tell me the line number, call the function below in the command window, and post the full output of the 'msg' and 'msgld' parameters that the function returns.

[msg msgId] = lasterr;

Regards, Peter

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 24 Jun 2015, 10:35

Hi Peter,

The line number is: 575
When it hits the breakpoint, if I request a step forward, I get the "Unknown method" error message.
If I call errordlg(msg, 'Warning') in the command window, the same happen
if I call the next function : txtTargetLabel1_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles), nothing happens, and then if I request the program to continue running, I get the same error message.

msg = 'Unknown method.'
msgld = 'MATLAB:griddata:UnknownMethod'

Here's a screenshot : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U3n6 ... sp=sharing

Thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in my answer. I'm new to Matlab but I'm teaching myself.

pbrunner

Post by pbrunner » 25 Jun 2015, 17:29

Amine,

thank you for posing the screenshots. The bug has actually been already fixed some time ago in rev 4293. Looking at your screenshot I see that you are running the binary version of BCI2000. Please download the latest developer version of BCI2000 via SVN from http://www.bci2000.org/svn/trunk

This version is not stable, but the OfflineAnalysis part of it should work on your data.

Regards, Peter

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 26 Jun 2015, 06:25

Peter,

I tried to replace only the OfflineAnalysis.bat & .m files but it didn't work, still got the same error. I will now try to use the whole developper version and keep you updated.

Thanks again,
Amine

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 26 Jun 2015, 09:09

Peter,

It's finally working ! Thanks.

Another issue emerged though : while the mapping works without feeding it a .loc file, I get an error when I ask it to use the .loc file that I created myself: "Invalid spectrum channels: the specified spectrum channel values are invalid". Here's a screenshot of the error : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U3n6 ... sp=sharing

Yet, it is not a critical issue, and maybe I should open another topic to treat it ? Here's a link to my .loc file : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3U3n ... authuser=0

Amine

pbrunner

Post by pbrunner » 26 Jun 2015, 11:23

Amine,

thank you for testing the fix. Unfortunately, the OfflineAnalysisTool requires numeric channel numbers in the "Spectra Channels" field.

Regards, Peter

Amine Metani

Post by Amine Metani » 29 Jun 2015, 09:10

Peter,

Indeed, everything is working now. Thanks for your time and your help. I guess we can close the topic.

sjmaslanka

Post by sjmaslanka » 02 Dec 2015, 17:24

I've just encountered this issue today on two different machines. I tried using the offline analysis tools from the link above but still have the error. Should I replace all the files with the ones from above?

I only recently installed BCI2000 so perhaps it is still a bug in the download version?

pbrunner

Post by pbrunner » 07 Dec 2015, 15:03

Sjmaslanka,

can you please verify that you are using the most recent version of BCI2000 downloaded form the SVN trunk:

http://www.bci2000.org/svn/trunk

Regards, Peter