Tortoise SVN troubles: "Can't move" files - can't clean up

Forum for software developers to discuss BCI2000 software development
pmeriggi

Tortoise SVN troubles: "Can't move" files - can't clean up

Post by pmeriggi » 02 Mar 2011, 02:19

Dear all,
I am following the BCI2000 webpage in order to recompile the source code, accessing it by means of Tortoise SVN. These are the things I did (on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit):
1) download and install Tortoise SVN (rel. 1.6.12) - restart the computer
2) create a suitable directory, namely D:\test\BCI2000v3
3) selecting the BCI2000v3 folder, right-click and select SVN Checkout
4) properly filled in the fields regarding username Etc.
5) a popup comes up reporting that Tortoise is actually checking out, and the program starts checking out the files
6) at a certain point, which is everytime different, Tortoise stops doing the checkout, reporting a strange error: "Can't move" a specific file from the "tmp" folder to the nominal one. At this point, I cannot do anything, since, the "clean up" command does not work, reporting that some files are not under the versioning control.

At this point, I can only delete the entire folder and restart from the beginning. I tried with both http and https connections.

Any hints very very welcome

Ciao

Paolo

mellinger

Re: Tortoise SVN troubles: "Can't move" files - can't clean

Post by mellinger » 02 Mar 2011, 10:04

Hi Paolo,

this appears to be a common problem on Windows 7 systems:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/faq.html#cantmove2

HTH,
Juergen

pmeriggi

Re: Tortoise SVN troubles: "Can't move" files - can't clean

Post by pmeriggi » 02 Mar 2011, 10:39

Thanks a lot, Juergen.
Anyway, with some patience and a lot of "Clean-up" + "Update" sequences, I made it to download everything.

Just a little consideration: if I try to compile the sources for the x64 platform, it turns out that there are a couple of issues:
1) there are a lllllllot of warnings with the (size_t) <-> (int) casting. Just warnings, but I don't know if this may affect real data, once the applications will run.
2) the Qt library included do not link correctly, since it is probably compiled for the x86/win32 platform.

In the end I realized and compiling the whole source in the good'ol win32 format with VS2008, and (after I excluded Python modules), it seems to be working (I just tried a couple of EXEs).

If this is not a mistake of mine (and of course it might be ;-), I'd suggest to highlight on the BCI2000 webpage that for the x64 platform one should proceed and download/recompile the Qt as well for the x64 architecture, or, maybe that BCI2000 source code could be compiled for the win32 platform and run just fine even on a x64 M$-Windows OS (is there any real need now to compile it in native x64 mode?) .

Maybe it could be of help for crash-test-dummy-programmers like me ;-).

Looking forward to downloading W7 SP1, I thank you for your time.

Ciao

Paolo