NeuroSky MindWave or MindSet?

This forum deals with BCI2000 configuration issues.
pieterkubben

NeuroSky MindWave or MindSet?

Post by pieterkubben » 22 Jun 2012, 14:35

Hello,

Currently working with the Emotiv EPOC, and thinking about getting some hands-on experience with a NeuroSky device too. Read this post about configuration of the MindWave, and understand that the BCI2000 NeuroSky module has been developed for the MindSet.

Now, what would be the best choice to work with (June 2012): MindWave of MindSet? The MindSet is described as NeuroSky's flagship, but essentially the MindWave seems to offer comparable functionality on EEG. I do not need audio or whatever on that headset.

Is there anybody who actually could compare these two devices? Is one to be preferred over the other?

Thanks,
Pieter

griffin.milsap

Re: NeuroSky MindWave or MindSet?

Post by griffin.milsap » 09 Jul 2012, 10:29

Pieter,

I developed the module for both the Emotiv EPOC and the Neurosky MindSet. I have some experience with both, and let me say that there really is no comparison. If you want really good data, the EPOC is the only consumer level headset which can provide it for you.

If you're dead-set on the current Neurosky models (to say nothing of their upcoming products) you should first understand that they rely on a dry electrode technology which requires direct contact with the scalp. This means that it doesn't work too well on hair and only kind of works on your forehead. The electrode must press (sometimes uncomfortably so) into your skin to maintain contact. In this regard, the MindSet is a bit more versatile than the MindWave -- I have been successful moving the electrode (only up and down a little bit =\ ) because of the form factor of the electrode (hemi-spherical vs flat plate).

The MindSet is also more comfortable (albeit more difficult) to get "situated" for good signal because of the ear-cup referencing. The MindWave uses this uncomfortable little ear clip to perform the same task which actually references more reliably, but feels weird. The ear cups on the MindSet must be perfectly adjusted such that the electrodes make contact with your ear in just the right way, and if you shake your head too much, the electrodes tend to become unseated which then ruins your signal.

The MindWave feels cheap -- It's injection molded plastic feels a bit brittle in my opinion, although I will say that both of these devices feel more durable than the Emotiv EPOC. I simply can't understand where they get off charging $100 for the MindWave, however. I would pay maximum of $50 for this device. I understand a bit of the price with the MindSet; it also works as a bluetooth headset and wireless headphones (with a pretty decent frequency response, I might add).

In conclusion, if a single channel of noisy "EEG" from the forehead (one of the thicker parts of the skull) is what you're after, then I'd go for the MindSet over the MindWave. But honestly, if you're planning on trying the P300 or Mu Rhythm BCI's, you should know that the electrode isn't going to reach the proper location for anywhere near decent performance using either of the devices. You might have some luck with single channel ICA(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8407000151), but IMHO, the NeuroSky devices which are currently on the market exist mostly to record EMG from the forehead.

-Griff

pieterkubben

Post by pieterkubben » 09 Jul 2012, 12:34

Hi Griffin,

Thanks a lot for your open and detailed answer,this is very helpful. Knowing this, I will continue to work with the Emotiv EPOC and forget about the NeuroSky devices for the moment.

Thanks again,

Pieter

cicis

Post by cicis » 13 Nov 2012, 14:14

Hi Griff and Pieter!
I am looking into buying one of these two devices and can't make up my mind. I have been doing neurofeedback for ADD in my Dr's office and I am looking for something that would allow me to do some of it at home as well. I have an Apple device I would like to use the hardware with. Which one would you recommend? I guess the variety and quality of the games or applications that both provide would also be a determining factor...
Thank you kindly,
cici

gschalk

Post by gschalk » 14 Nov 2012, 07:32

The Neurosky device is basically a toy that doesn't record good EEG.

The EPOC is much better and gives you real EEG.

Thus, if in your application it is important to measure good EEG, the EPOC is much better.

Gerv

raymart

Post by raymart » 11 Dec 2012, 07:25

good day everyone, I want to build a mind controlled wheelchair, what would be the best headset? why? Thank you in advance :D

griffin.milsap

Post by griffin.milsap » 11 Dec 2012, 10:31

@raymart,

I'll just repeat what Gerv said here, the only consumer level headset capable of recording decent EEG is the Emotiv EPOC at the moment. If you want to do true "mind control" without overt movement, this is really your only choice, unless you want to spend an order of magnitude more on a research device like the ones g.tec makes.

That said, if you want to make a wheelchair controlled by moving your eyebrows, the Neurosky is your best bet. Afterall, your mind controlls your eyebrows.

-Griff